Monday, March 31, 2008

Ch-ch-ch-changes....

As some of you already know, I was laid off (fired, canned, removed from employment) last Tuesday. The reason given was that I was unable to meet customer service expectations. At first I was a little shocked, then I adjusted a bit. Wednesday morning I woke up and felt relieved. I won't go into too much detail, but to say that when you're working at a membership driven organization, the amount of abuse that your customers think is OK to heap on you is exponentially larger than at a "regular" business. I was relieved I wouldn't have to go in and take that level of abuse on a daily basis anymore. There's more to the story, but nothing I'd deem interesting enough to post here.

At the end of it all, I think I lasted longer there than the 4 people that held that job before me (one of which is a buddy that I've talked to since I left), and given a turn over rate that high, I don't think it's me.

What's interesting to me is my reaction to this news. Yes, this time is a little different because in addition to having a little saved, I'm also getting unemployment, but there's also very much a feeling that WHO I am is not connected to my job and what I do. I'm open to other possibilities that I'd never have considered before.

One of the first things I'll be doing is committing to making at least one blog post a day. More to come!

No comments: